Routing...

Time to route the binding and purfling channels...

I started by routing an undersized binding channel on both the top and bottom sides.  This allowed me to make sure the sides were sanded flat... sometimes the top and black plate can interfere and you can end up with an uneven surface.

Then I made sure my box was secure and routed the channels.  This was the most intimidating part of the whole project so far.  The channels need to be routed squarely with the sides and this becomes difficult as the top and bottom plates are not flat (or square with the sides).

I put together a router attachment (based on the KMG binding router attachment) to mount to my Ridgid 2401 router and started routing.  The binding channels were cut at 0.060" deep and 0.275" tall.  The purfling channel, on the top plate, was cut at 0.060" deep and 0.305" wide.  After it was all done, I was ecstatic that I didn't have any tear out or misshapen channels.  Everything worked out great.

(Click to Enlarge)
(Click to Enlarge) 
(Click to Enlarge) 
(Click to Enlarge) 




No comments:

Post a Comment