Radius Board Setup...


(Click to Enlarge)
Radius board setup
Last night I got the sanding jig close to completion.  I got the idea and procedure from Kenneth Michael Guitars.  He has a lot of great step-by-step tutorials on his site as well as tools, fixtures, and support forum.

In the picture you can see my radius board mounted on a spindle in the center of my guitar mold.  The radius board shown has a 28' radius (top of guitar) on one side and a 15' radius (bottom of guitar) on the other.  I also have boards with different radius setups and a flat board for leveling.  I never thought I'd be saying this but I'm now grateful for all those early years of pouring concrete and unique concrete form design.  Some of that experience has come in handy.

The top and bottom of the guitar are not flat... they are both slightly arched.  The edges of the sides will be reshaped to accept that dome shape before I glue the kerfing to the inside edges of sides.  This will save me some time when the kerfing is installed and I need to sand the sides again to fine tune them before attaching the top and back plates.  This will be more self-explanatory when I get to that step and post pictures.

Watch John Hall from Blues Creek Guitars show us how to setup the sides in his YouTube video: Blues Creek Guitars - Setting up the Rims


No comments:

Post a Comment