Rosette - FAIL...

(Click to Enlarge)
SECURI DUM VIXI TACUI
MORTUA DOLCE CANO
In life I was silent,
In death I sweetly sing.
Ok... I mentioned earlier that I had an idea for a rosette.

Well... I drew it up on my CAD program, printed it out, taped it to my bear claw top and... HATED IT.

My plan?

Center ring: Abalone lettering inlaid into Makore (scrap from my back plate) with b/w/b (black/white/black) purfling.

Outer rings: b/w/b/ purfling

I just love that old inscription so much that I thought I could somehow incorporate it into my guitar.  I printed it out and taped it on my top...

It was sadly... just too gawdy for my tastes.
(Click to Enlarge)


At least I've learned that less is more and have decided on my rosette - just a standard abalone center ring with b/w/b purfling.

I'm still trying to decide on binding - I'm torn between real wood bindings and tortoise shell bindings.  If I go with wood bindings I want something dark - possibly ebony... not sure yet.  Anyway, I like the tortoise shell look also (same as pickguard), but the thought of plastic (celluloid) bindings on the guitar kinda seems like an injustice to me.  Probably just me being like an anxious father waiting for the birth of his first child.

Speaking of which...

I've already learned some invaluable lessons on this first project - which, not unlike parenthood, may make the second project go a little easier.  Not necessarily "better"... just easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment