Getting Started...


(Click to Enlarge)
Drednought mold almost complete
amidst several inches of fine dust
everywhere in my garage now.
As this is my first build, I've got several tools and jigs to create.  I could've purchased a lot of the tools online but building them myself is not only satisfying, but also less expensive.

I decided to start by building a Dreadnought mold.  The inner mold dimensions are as follows:

Upper Bout width: 11-1/2"
Waist width: 10-13/16"
Lower Bout width: 15-5/8"
Body Length: 20"

I started with 3/4" MDF cut down to 10" x 24" pieces (qty. 8).  After tracing out my template (one half of the guitar body) I hit the bandsaw and got the first piece knocked out to my exact dimensions.  Once the first piece was complete my router and flush cut bit knocked out the remaining seven pieces.  The two halves were glued and screwed and I ended up with two mold halves 3" thick.  A 1/2" wood dowel was used on each end as a locator for the two halves when brought together.  I haven't decided on toggle clamps for the two ends yet and am currently just using two 24" clamps to hold the mold together which work fine for now.

Other tool/jig projects in progress are spreaders, radius boards, and a spindle which will mount to my work board in the center of my mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment