Kerfed Lining...

I was able to do a little work on the guitar Sunday.  I started by cleaning up the garage - I need a dust collector, or at the very least a nice shop vac that I can hook up to my tools.  There was sawdust in every nook and cranny in the garage.

(Click to Enlarge)
Mahogany kerfing strips
Anyway, I started by roughing in the neck and tailblock.  I needed to get their profile close to the profile of the sides.  After sanding everything down to get it close, it was time to install the kerfing (kerfed lining).

Mahogany kerfing strips are glued to the sides to provide support and a ledge for the top and bottom plates to be glued to.  The sides are not thick enough to provide decent glue joint so the kerfing is added.

(Click to Enlarge)
side view











After a dry run, to determine length, it was time to get out the Titebond and rubber band reinforced clothes pins for clamping.  Below are pictures from that process.

(Click to Enlarge)
clothes pin clamps
(Click to Enlarge)











(Click to Enlarge)
closeup











Glue from the squeeze out was cleaned up and the bottom side kerfing is complete.  The next step will be to get the top side kerfing installed and then on to the side support straps.

(Click to Enlarge)
bottom complete

No comments:

Post a Comment